Friday, October 25, 2013

The Polyphonic Spree and Abbe May - Foxtel Hub, Melbourne

Band: The Polyphonic Spree with support from Abbe May
Venue: Foxtel Hub
Date: 22nd October 2013
Reviewed By: Lyn Harder







Two class acts hit the Foxtel Hub (as part of the Melbourne Festival) tonight in Melbourne. First up is the raunchy newly changed direction in style of music, the luscious Perth lady Abbe May. Her latest offering Kiss My Apocalypse (Electronica/Doom Pop style) sets the pace tonight and I can tell you after her set I could have gone home happy. The music is truly sexy, and you can’t stop watching the band. Abbe is in fine form, her vocals a killer and her music suits her presence with its intense sexual offerings. Opening with Want Want Want, the music is electrifying with guitar laced with Abbe’s sultry vocals. Sex Tourette is a fast paced song whereas Tantric Romantic takes you down a little again with grooving riffs swaying you from side to side. Kiss My Apocalypse and Karmageddon were my highlights and the performance is just as amazing live .
Her next tour hits our shores soon
 
 
 
 
After a short break, the stage is set up to fit The Polyphonic Spree around, there are fifteen of them on stage tonight and they fit with plenty of room to move around. The Spree is a band where you don’t have to know the music to love them. It would help if you like choral, pop rock, but I think I can say that most fellow music lovers would nod their approval to the music of The Spree.
The show started with a large white piece of material than ran the length of the stage. Singer Tim DeLaughter brought out the can of spray paint and starting writing back to front and from right to left the words Love Australia Syle (yes, the T was placed in the sentence when pointed out by a band member) and Tim cut the material in half and from there they launched into the Opener. Their music filled the venue tonight, with three brass instruments, four backing angels, violin, double bass, guitars, drums and keyboard and tipped off with Tim’s bountiful energy, it was a sight to hear and see. They didn’t waste any time before breaking out one of the big hits Hold Me Now which had us all dancing and singing. The light show is fantastic, strobes, smoke, lasers – the show has it all. Delaughter bounced around on stage with enough energy to make me start thinking about going to the gym. He would take peoples phones or cameras and video close up’s of the band and crowd as well as himself. He would sing with the audience and when he looks at you with those incredible blue eyes, you’re taken. Delaughter used to be in the band Tripping Daisy and when this band ended in 1999, he explored making a band with other musicians, to put together a big sound with an orchestral palette. It works, I don’t know of many other bands like this. The energy, the music, the laughter, the songs – its all together in a colourful package.
Songs in the set included Light To Follow, You Don’t Know Me, Porpoise Song (The Monkees cover), The Best Part, My Umbrella (Tripping Daisy) and more. The set went for over two hours and by close to midnight, I was ready to hit the hay. The band seemed like they could keep going until the wee hours and as I went home, I left the band to meet the fans.
And yes, to add to my comment that I could have gone home after Abbe May, of course I’m glad I stayed!