Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Dallas Crane at Hi Fi Bar and Ballroom




Band: Dallas Crane
Venue: Hi Fi Bar and Ballroom
Date: 30th May 2008
Reviewed By: Danelle Lee
Photos By: Danelle Lee
(please do not copy photos without permission)

Rumour has it that this Gig was the last Dallas Crane gig, which some might say was backed up by the fact that they didn't play any new material; had a big fan fare of fans up on the stage (of which I was one), and they even brought back their original bass player Chris. Rumour also has it that the band are in fact about to make a new album (sans MX May 30th) and if the band were to ever have a farewell gig it would be held at The Espy. Whichever rumour you prefer to favour the crowd loved the Crane, and I would personally be gutted if the band departed. Even the thought of it brings a tissue to dab at the wetness in my eyes. Nothing beats the rootsie dirty rock of The Crane, and tonight was no different. For me it felt like an old school reunion. It's been nearly two years since the band last played at the Hi Fi and a little less than that since they played at all. I ran into so many people that I haven't seen for years, and the set list compounded this for me. A set list of all the greats, spanning all of their albums, keeping all fans old and new very very happy, God Damn Pride, Sit on my Knee, Wrong Party, Numb all Over, Can't Work You Out, Dirty Heart and the list continues. I have to admit the night rocked and unlike most gigs there was no one sing-a-long song, every song was treated like a great by the crowd. Dave is a great showman, and one of my personal favourite acts is counting how many songs in, it takes for him to loose whichever hat he is wearing. Tonight it was by about the fourth song. Of course there are a few attempts to put it back on his head, but it never stays there for long. And who would Dave be if he wasn't well and truly drenched in sweat by the end of the gig, well it just wouldn't be a Crane gig if he was dryzabone now would it? I always feel that Shannon gets lost in the back there, hidden behind all the other band members, especially when he's not on a particularly high platform. But that's no slur at his playing, it's just sad because I didn't get much chance to ogle at my favourite piece of band candy, but i digress. It was a real night of comradery with all members talents on show equally impressive, that I really can't pin point any one solo as being any better than the other. I think has a lot to do with the attitude of the band on the night and Dave repetitively noting Dallas Crane to the audience ensuring that all members were constantly considered as a whole. Me, the group of friends I was with and every lost friend that I re-encountered that night had an incredible time. Dallas Crane epitomizes Melbourne rock and Melburniuns attitude to rock. It's a homely business with a lot of beer and all your friends celebrating a little piece of Australia. Oh how I love it and everything it stands for.

No comments: