Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Arresting Police

Band: The Police with support from Fergie and Fiction Plane
Venue: The Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG)
Date: Saturday January 26
Reviewed By: Lyn

Corporate box tix to see The Police – yes please!

Up we went to sit down and be waited on with food and drinks. One cannot complain about this at all.

One also cannot complain about the first band of the night ‘Fiction plane’ which features Sting’s son, Joe Sumner, on vocals. Seton Daunt and Pete Wilhoit make the rest of the band. I was blown away by these guys. They are a three piece band from England who brought out an EP in 2001 under the name ‘Santa’s Boyfriend’ and changed their name before signing to a label. Although sound was quite bad from where we were sitting probably due to the MCG not being the best venue for rock and roll music – the music echoes and I feel the music gets lost in the large amount of open air - I still got the feeling that these guys rock. I hear they sell out shows in their home town and around the world and I can see why. This is a band I would see again. They could be described as pop rock, guitar rock and even melodic rock.

Next up was Fergie from the Black Eyed Peas. I thought it odd having her support The Police. Itdidn’t seem the correct mix, and judging from the crowd's response I was right. She bounced about the stage, long hair being whipped around till I began to think her head might fall off. There were 6 dancers with moves and grooves. Fergie, looking sultry, started singing ‘Girl Can’t Help It’ then we heard songs such as ‘My Hump’ (should be called my agony – yes I dislike this song), lots of bum views, shaking that ass. I couldn’t understand her talking as there was still an echo in the sound. There was a medley of BEP songs, which still didn’t seem to shift the crowds on the ground. I think the people around me clapped the most! There were a few costume changes then some covers -‘Live and Let Die’, ‘Start Me Up’ and ‘Black Dog’. No, she didn’t do them justice. There were heaps of empty spots around the arena and although I did hear the MCG wasn’t sold out I think many fans decided to come after Fergie. Baracuda was sung whilst performing cartwheels, then a new outfit, a gold dress, and after a few more songs we heard ‘Fruitilicious’ and we were thanked by Miss F then off she fluttered.

It was getting dark, and the show was held off a bit for the Australia Day fireworks held over the city. Finally the crowd screamed and cheered at the first sign of The Police. SOS is the starter song which had the stadium cheering even louder. Songs we heard are ‘Walking On the Moon’, ‘Don’t Stand So Close To Me’. Sting truly has an amazing voice and thankfully the sound was enjoyable throughout the set. At one point we were shown a grasshopper which seemed to have taken a liking to the stage and sat neat Sting for the entire show - at one point it was sitting on his water bottle! The band may be older and grey but they can still belt out tunes and play those instruments as if they are teenagers again. More songs include ‘Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic’, ‘De Do Do Do De Da Da Da’, ‘Walking In Your Footsteps’, ‘ I Can’t Stand Losing You’, ‘Roxanne’ (with appropriate red lights), ‘So Lonely’ and ‘Every Breath You Take’.

The MCG went crazy even though it was only half full. Most people danced and sang away and thoroughly enjoyed themselves. This was my first time to see The Police and I was most impressed. Sting tells us the last time they played here was in 1980 at Festival Hall.

It was a beautiful night with clear skies, a few wines and a truly memorable performance. Rod Laver would have been a more fitting venue, but hey, I’m not complaining about my seats!

Thanks Mushroom Music :-)

No comments: