Thursday, November 15, 2007

Not-So-Sweet Alabama

Band: Alabama 3 with support Roger That
Venue: Hi-Fi Bar and Ballroom
Date: 11th November 2007
Reviewed By: Lyn

Gotta love The Hi Fi bar, I love the good size and the fact there is air conditioning!

Heading downstairs to the main room we were greeted by the sounds of ‘Roger That’, a four piece band from the Gold Coast. Tonight there were lots of guitar riffs, great vocals and smooth drumming. Jesse Bailey the vocalist said the crowd tonight is their biggest yet! I was quite impressed with this band and was surprised everybody was sitting down and not dancing. Lots of people were already there but didn’t want to rise up off the floor just yet even when the singer asked them to. The band seemed very connected, high vocals, talking vocals, whistling in songs – Jesse has a big voice. They did a cover of I’ve Been Waiting So Long by the band Cream. They did the song justice, very energetic. I noticed after their set they were signing many cd’s for impressed punters.

After a wait (and I must add, some very cool tunes to listen to) what greeted us this time were four chairs on stage and some microphones. Yes, tonight was the acoustic performance of The Alabama 3. As their website says: 'We make Sweet Muthafuckin Country Acid House Music' and are from Brixton, London and not Alabama as their name suggests. Even Tim Rogers had ventured out for a listen.

Enter guitarist then the rest of the band. Their set was very uninteresting, no name anywhere letting us know who they are, no special lights, just the boring back drop. I was surprised about this and it made the stage look very unappealing, even the lights didn’t change much from what I saw. The crowd remained sitting down, a few punters had cowboy hats which seemed in the spirit of the band. I don’t have much to say about the band in general - I wasn’t particularly entertained by what I saw and ended up leaving very early in the set (maybe that was my problem).

If someone can email in a better review, please do so! Maybe I need to see them in rock style!?

1 comment:

Mel said...

I was at that gig and you are so right. Rogerthat kicked it - but tough crowd!

I know I'm a geek, but they covered Sunshine Of My Love by Cream... it's my favourite song :o)