Monday, October 1, 2007

Silver Ray in Northcote

Band: Silver Ray
Venue: Northcote Social Club
Date: 15th September 2007
Reviewed By: Lyn

There is something magical about Silver Ray. They are an amazing instrumental band who have been around for a very long time - and judging from the amount of people, they still have a large fan base.

I hadn’t seen the band for about 5-6 years so I was excited about what direction they had headed into over the years. During the course of the night, musician after musician came on stage bringing the 3 piece to a 9 piece! Julitha Ryan on keyboards still amazed me and I must admit part of seeing Silver Ray for me is seeing her enjoy her keyboards! Cam Butler was strong on guitar as ever, and Brett Poliness had a dramatic stage presence on drums.

The first half was old favourites and the second half was new material. I enjoyed the new songs although I did find overdubbing not to my liking for a first time listen. No doubt after a few listens that will change. The crowd lapped up the entire show and a packed room tells me Silver Ray have many more beats in them.

No comments: