Thursday, June 5, 2008

Root takes on The Espy!


Band: Root
Venue: The Esplanade Hotel
Date: 24th May 2008
Reviewed By:Lyn Harder

Photo: Mark Geisel

I had expectation of the band Root! I thought they'd have to be a great band to see live. I have to say I wasn’t disappointed. A fantastic show, lots of great songs with much comical humour. The band put their all into the set and the crowd lapped it up. Out they came in suits and cowboy hats, very stylish I must ad! The front bar of the espy was chock o block, and the anticipation could be felt in the air. I mean who could blame the crowd for this! ‘Jet’ started the set; ‘get up’ was next, more of a talking song with great keyboards. Shazza, orange people glowing we’re told by front man DC Root, and out he came walking through the crowd, truly inspiring lyrics…not. ‘Spring me out of Caroline Springs’ was a hoot, the names sums that song up! ‘Pauline’ (yep Hanson), quote ‘she made the digestion of chewing gum seem quick’! A song called Crown summed up pokies and was sung in tune of hokey pokey, quite the crowd tickler. ‘Back to mine’ (not sure if this correct title) had a rock country feel – rhyming words with emo – clever adapted song.; ‘I wish I was Tex Perkins’ (he eats roots and leaves), this song most people would know, a highly hilarious song of the man that is Tex Perkins. To sum up, a show that was quirky, funny, full of hilarity, well dressed men, comical, musical as well as being raw, so I recommend you go see Root. Nothing quite compares really…..

No comments: