Friday, May 16, 2008

Atmospheric Cog


Band: Cog with Kora and Jakob
Venue: Palace Nightclub
Date: 15th may 2008
Reviewed By:Lyn Harder

Photographs By: Mark Geisel

Tonight was my first night at the new palace venue and I must say hats off to the management for fixing the place, love the fact the bar which used to be in the middle of the room is now on the right hand side. Jakob were already playing on arrival. A truly remarkable instrumental band. Watching them makes me wish I could usher everybody out of the room then place a bed on the dance floor and have my way with my partner! The music was hypnotic, flowing and amazing.
After a long break NZ band Kora arrived and brought with them a mix of electronica, rock and even some island sounding tunes. Most of it I enjoyed, the more electronica isn’t my thing, but the crowd certainly thought it was. One almost thought the Haka was going to break out.
After another long break (way too long –45 mins) we are entertained with John Farnham’s ‘You’re the voice’ blaring out of the speakers, and who would have thought it, but most of the crowd in their black tees and tattoos were singing to good ole Johnny! Cog came on stage and started with ‘No other way’ then crept into ‘Bird of feather’ which sounded fantastic live, such a brilliant song. Other songs include “Resonate’, ‘Are you interested?’, and ‘Four Walls’. ‘Spine' got the crowd going and pumped us up even further. An amazing live song and one of my faves (I just can’t go past the guitar solo, one of the best). “Sharing Space’ which is the latest album title , ‘Real Life’ which included drum solo, and speaking of the drum kit, what an amazing piece of equipment, looking like a space craft, part illuminating and part ‘who can not look at it in awe’. The drum kit was placed high up in the middle of stage like he was king on a throne.
Other songs were ‘The Movies’ an old classic ‘Moshiach’ ‘Swamp’, ‘Town of Lincoln’, and ‘My Enemy’. They ended on a different song ‘Bitter Pills’, adding acoustic guitar it was rather a nice ending to the gig, a creeper of a song that is slow then fast. I’ve been following Cog for about 3 years now and they are a fantastic live band. Though I have to ad ‘sharing Space” for me doesn’t get me going like ‘The New Normal’ or ‘Just visiting EP’s’ and I wish they’d sing more off the latter mentioned EP. Apparently Sharing Space was supposed to be recorded in 5 months and ended up taking 10 months, recorded in the US. The lighting guy did an amazing job, really added to a lot of songs. I did notice the gower boys didn’t have lights directly on them so they looked like were in fog at times, not that that was a bad thing. I was asked to mention by a guy called Lachy that Cog sound like atmospheric frog stomp music! Cog is about the music and putting on a great show and that I must say, they do.

No comments: